What makes something "Chewly Awesome"? Any type of food can achieve this status whether it be something sweet, savory, spicy or succulent. When it comes to amazing food, it's not just truly awesome; it's "Chewly Awesome!" This blog is about a mom who wants to feed her family the best and doesn't want to be a slave in the kitchen in order to make that happen. My promise to you is that you will never find a single recipe for Tuna Casserole on this blog! Now that is "Chewly Awesome!"

If you have a dish that is "Chewly Awesome", and you would like for it to be featured on the blog. Email the recipe to talietiger@gmail.com!

Monday, June 11, 2012

Kickin' Chicken, Broccoli and Rice

I wasn't going to cook tonight. Really.  I even told my husband to grab him something on the way home, because this kitchen is closed! Then, I got this craving for rice, and of course I couldn't just eat rice. Something had to go with it! Something....hmmm...well, chicken, of course...and I have these water chestnuts...and this broccoli that I really need to use... Oh, I will just go ahead and make a casserole.  Why not? This is going to be easy and delicious. I opened the refrigerator and found  the ''Why not" - no cheese, no sour cream, no crackers for toppings; but my taste buds were already committed to the idea therefor, off to the store I went - no small feat when you live in the boonies like us!  The pressure was on.  If I was going to go through this much trouble for my taste buds, it had better be worth it!   Gladly, it was. :)


Kickin' Chicken, Broccoli and Rice
Serves 6

2 cups cooked rice

2 cups cooked broccoli
4 cups shredded cooked chicken (3 or 4 chicken breast boiled for about 30 minutes until tender)
1 onion chopped
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 can water chestnuts (give them a rough chop)
1 can cream of celery
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp Cajun seasoning (Such as Tony's)
1 cup of crumbled butter crackers


Preheat oven to 350F

Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray

In a large bowl, mix:
chicken
1 cup cheese
onion
sour cream
mayo
water chestnuts
cream of celery
garlic powder
pepper
cajun seasoning

Layer cooked rice on the bottom of the pan, and layer cooked broccoli on top, followed by your chicken mixture.

Bake for 30 minutes in oven.

Mix crumbled crackers and 1 cup of cheddar cheese together and sprinkle on top of casserole.
Cook for an additional 10 minutes (Til the crumbs are nice and golden)

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment