What makes something "Chewly Awesome"? Any type of food can achieve this status whether it be something sweet, savory, spicy or succulent. When it comes to amazing food, it's not just truly awesome; it's "Chewly Awesome!" This blog is about a mom who wants to feed her family the best and doesn't want to be a slave in the kitchen in order to make that happen. My promise to you is that you will never find a single recipe for Tuna Casserole on this blog! Now that is "Chewly Awesome!"

If you have a dish that is "Chewly Awesome", and you would like for it to be featured on the blog. Email the recipe to talietiger@gmail.com!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Homemade Bruschetta

What do you do on a hot summers day when you have homegrown tomatoes, fresh basil from your new basil plant, and homemade french bread?  Why, make Bruschetta, of course! Did I mention my new Basil plant?  Early this past Saturday (before the scorching heat cooked us), a friend and I made our way down to the farmers market at Pepper Place (My favorite Saturday morning spot!), and I found a beautiful Sweet Basil plant for only $4.00. Considering that I was paying $2.00 every time I needed to buy a little bit at the store, I found this to be a big bargain. Needless to say, I have been making everything I can that calls for fresh basil, and when I run out of ideas, I just go grab a leaf and nibble on it (true story).  I really love basil.  Not only does it taste wonderful, but some types act as  an anti-inflammatory which really help with my bronchitis and asthma (Basil acts as an antacid if eaten raw before meals).  You won't regret buying a basil plant. Anyway, on to the yummy, garlic infused Bruschetta :)  Enjoy!



Homemade Bruschetta
10 servings

10 Slices of French Bread  (Click here for Homemade French Bread recipe)
5 Tomatoes - Diced
5 or 6 fresh Basil leaves chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced (or a heaping tablespoon of garlic from a jar...if you must!)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (plus more to brush on bread)
2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste


Mix your Tomatoes, Basil (Reserve a bit to sprinkle on top), Garlic, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Garlic powder and Pepper together in a bowl.  Let all these ingredients mingle and fellowship while your bread is toasting. ;)

Brush sliced bread with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic powder and toast until golden brown.

Put bread on your serving platter
Using a slotted spoon to drain juice, place tomato and basil mixture on top of bread.
Sprinkle with salt, pepper and extra chopped Basil

Serve immediately and Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment